with Access and Excel
PREPARING THE DATABASE 2
CREATING THE MAIN DOCUMENT 4
Main Text 4
ADDING PLACEHOLDERS 6
EMBEDDING A WORKSHEET 7
MERGING DATA TO A NEW DOCUMENT 8
SUBMITTING YOUR FILES FOR GRADING 11
Inspecting Your Completed Files 11
Sending Your Files 11
Integrating Word with
Access and Excel
After you’ve completed all of the assigned reading, activities,
and exercises in the study unit Integrating Word with Access
and Excel and you’ve taken the examination in that study
unit, you’ll be ready to complete your graded project. The
project requires you to use your skills in Word, Excel, and
Access to create a proposal with an embedded worksheet for
the ABC Engineering Company. Since the proposal is to be
distributed to five clients, you’ll also create an address list in
an Access database and merge it with the proposal to create
a personalized mailing for each client.
Here’s the order in which you’ll complete this project:
1. Prepare a five-name database in Access.
2. Create a letterhead and the main document for
3. Add placeholders to the main document.
4. Embed an Excel worksheet into the main document.
5. Merge all form letters into one final five-page document.
When you complete the entire project, you’ll submit it to
the school for grading. You’re expected to submit three files:
one for the database, one for the main document with the
embedded worksheet and placeholders, and one for the
merged documents. To guide you as you complete your
project, you may refer to the instructions in your study unit
Integrating Word with Access and Excel.
If you’re ready, let’s get started by creating the database for
2 Integrating Word with Access and Excel
PREPARING THE DATABASE
Use the following procedure to create the database for your
1. Choose the Blank Database option in Access and create
a new database file. Name the file list.mdb.
2. Design a table with the following ten fields, as shown in
• Customer ID • Company
• Contact First Name • Contact Last Name
• Billing Address • City
• State • Postal Code
• Phone Number • Fax Number
3. Name the table List.
4. Create a new form based on the List table. Name the
form List. Compare your form with Figure 2.
5. Insert the information from Figure 3 into five separate
forms in your database. Be sure to save the information
when you’re finished. Allow Access to set the customer
6. Save the forms and return to the table.
7. Arrange the addresses in alphabetical order according to
• Double-click inside the Contact Last Name box of
any of the records in the file.
• Select the Contact Last Name arrow and click Sort
A to Z.
FIGURE 1—Create a table containing all the fields you need for your form letter.
4 Integrating Word with Access and Excel
8. If you have a printer, print a hard copy of your table and
check your work for errors. If you don’t have a printer,
check your work by reviewing it line by line on your computer
screen. (Check your work carefully. Your project
grade will be based on the accuracy of your work.)
9. Correct any errors you find.
10. Save the file (list.mdb) to your computer and to your
graded project disk.
CREATING THE MAIN DOCUMENT
Now that your mailing list is complete, you need to create a
proposal letter to merge with the database. You’ll prepare the
proposal document just like a standard form letter.
Using Word, prepare the letterhead shown in Figure 4.
1. Type the company name (ABC Engineering Company)
in Times New Roman, 22-point, bold, italic.
2. Select the heading and use the Alphabet feature to
create two 2¼-point horizontal lines.
3. Below the lines, type the company address (1552
Carbondale Road – Mechanicsburg, PA – 17055)
in Times New Roman, 14-point, bold, italic.
4. Save the file as proposal.docx.
Using Arial 12-point, single spaced, type the body of the
letter, also shown in Figure 4.
1. After the copy for the letterhead, press Enter
2. Type the current date.
3. Press Enter two times.
4. Enter the main text from Figure 4.
* You can also use 2CO option if you want to purchase through Credit Cards/Paypal but make sure you put the correct billing information otherwise you wont be able to receive any download link.
* Your paypal has to be pre-loaded in order to complete the purchase or otherwise please discuss it with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* As soon as the payment is received, download link of the solution will automatically be sent to the address used in selected payment method.
* Please check your junk mails as the download link email might go there and please be patient for the download link email. Sometimes, due to server congestion, you may receive download link with a delay.
* All the contents are compressed in one zip folder.
* In case if you get stuck at any point during the payment process, please immediately contact us at email@example.com and we will fix it with you.
* We try our best to reach back to you on immediate basis. However, please wait for atleast 8 hours for a response from our side. Afterall, we are humans.
* Comments/Feedbacks are truely welcomed and there might be some incentives for you for the next lab/quiz/assignment.
* In case of any query, please donot hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* MOST IMPORTANT Please use the tutorials as a guide and they need NOT to be used for any submission. Just take help from the material.
******************************************** Good Luck ***************************************************