MIS561 Lab 2 in MySQL – Work with Dictionary and Create Relational Database – Instant Delivery – Perfect Solution
Lab 2: Work with Dictionary and Create Relational Database (60 pts.)
Scenario and Summary
In this lab, you will prepare a Data Dictionary based on the list of elements. Also, your task will be determined the tables, their relationships, primary and foreign keys. Based on this analysis, you will create Database Schema, relational tables, Entity –Relational Diagram (ERD), establish connection to your local MySQL Server, create physical database and insert data to the tables.
MySQL provides two primary types of file management: dictionary-managed files and MySQL Workbench-managed files. As part of this iLab, you will need to supply some information as to how you would use both of these approaches, and you will have to discuss some of the advantages of each.
For Step 3, you need access to your database instance. If you have any difficulties connecting your database instance, let’s take error messages, screen shots, descriptions of the situation to the graded threads and work as a team to resolve issues.
Now you are ready to proceed.
Your assignment will be graded based on the following.
Assignment Step Description Points
Step 1 Create Data Dictionary for provided elements (Word document) 15
Step 2 Create SCHEMA and database tables in MySQL Workbench 15
Step 3 Establish connection to the MySQL Server (screenshots) 15
Step 4 Insert data to tables using MySQL Workbench 15
Total Lab Points 60
• For Steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 create a single Word document and include the answers or solutions to all problems. Be sure to label your document and include your name and course number in the heading. Save your document as “yourname_Lab_2.docx.”
Submit both “yourname_Lab_2.docx” to the Dropbox for this week.
STEP 1: Create Data Dictionary for provided elements
As the DBA for your company, you have decided to install a new version of the MySQL database to replace the current database version being used. The old database has become a constant headache and seems to be causing an overload on the disk drive’s I/O channels. Further analysis has also shown that two primary large tables are the main points of access. The new tables will be DEPT, EMPLOYEE, and BONUS.
• Describe how you plan to compile the Data Dictionary and decide on the table’s structure with the new MySQL database.
Given list of elements:
NN Attribute Name Column name Data Type
1 Employee number (PK) EMPNO NUMBER(4)
2 Employee first name EFNAME VARCHAR2(10)
3 Employee last name ELNAME VARCHAR2(20)
4 Job category (FK) JOBCATEGORY VARCHAR2(4)
5 Manager MGR NUMBER (4)
6 Hire date HIREDATE DATE
7 Salary SAL NUMBER (7.2)
8 Commission COMM NUMBER (7.2)
9 Department number(FK) DEPTNO NUMBER(2)
10 Department name DEPTNAME VARCHAR2(14)
11 Location LOC VARCHAR2(13)
12 Job title JOBTITLE VARCHAR2(20)
13 Job description JOBDESC VARCHAR2(20)
Compile Data Dictionary (in alphabetic order):
NN Attribute Name Column name Data Type Data element description Table name Primary key/ Foreign key indicator (P/F) Not NULL Default value
Department number DEPTNO NUMBER(2)
Place and save your answers in a Word document named “yourname_Lab_2.docx.”
STEP 2: Create SCHEMA and database tables in MySQL Workbench
2.a Create SCHEMA
a) Launch MySQL Workbench;
b) Click File and choose ‘New Model’;
c) Add Diagram:
Name: new schema name;
d) Press ‘Enter’ and new SCHEMA will be added;
2.b Create tables
a) In Model overview (top part of the screen) Click ‘Add Diagram’; Navigation pane shows new schema in Catalog Tree;
b) Place a new table on the free part of screen;
Column Name, Datatype; PK; NN; UQ;BIN; UN; ZF;AI; Default;
d) Continue to add all tables;
2.c Foreign key creation
a) Click on the bottom of the Form ‘Foreign key’ to establish the reference to parent table;
b) Choose the Reference table and Reference column;
c) Choose Foreign key options On Update and On Delete; Enter.
2.d Save database
a) Choose ‘File’ on the Toolbar and Save Model as on your folder.
Established database are visible on Home page.
STEP 3: Create and configure a new connection to the MySQL Server
Part 1 Create a new connection to the MySQL Server
a) Launch to MySQL Workbench Home page;
b) To add a connection, click the [+] icon to the right of the MySQL Connections title. This opens the Setup New Connection form:
Figure 3.1 Setup New Connection Form
The Setup New Connection form features a Configure Server Management button (bottom left) that is required for the MySQL connection to perform tasks that requires shell access to the host. For example, starting/stopping the MySQL instance or editing the configuration file Fill out the connection details and optionally click Configure Server Management to execute the Server Management wizard. Click OK to save the connection.
All connections opened by MySQL Workbench automatically set the client character set to utf8. Manually changing the client character set, such as using SET NAMES …, may cause MySQL Workbench to not correctly display the characters.
c) New connections are added to the Home page as a tile, and multiple connections may be opened simultaneously in MySQL Workbench.
Part 2 Configure a New MySQL Connection
a) Click on ‘Local Instance MySQL’ and enter password;
b) Local Instance MySQL screen appears;
c) Click MySQL Workbench Home, click database to be connected;
d) EER Diagram screen appears;
e) Choose Database on Toolbar and ‘Forward Engineering’ on scroll menu;
f) Forward Engineer to Database screen appears
Set parameters for Connecting to a DBMS:
Stored Connection: Select from saved connection settings; Click ‘Next’;
g) Set Options for Database to be Created appears
Select DROP objects before each CREATE object;
Leave selected Include model attached script; Click ‘Next’;
h) Select Objects to Forward Engineer screen appears, enter password again;
Select Export MySQL Table Objects and click ‘Next’;
i) Review the SQL script to be Executed screen appears for your review and saving to file or copy to Clipboard; Click ‘Next’;
j) Forward Engineering Progress screen appears, enter password again;
k) Forward Engineering Progress shows the executed tasks.
l) Click ‘Close’.
Please add Management, INSTANCE and PERFORMANCE screenshots for the created database to lab Report.
STEP 4: Insert data to tables using MySQL Workbench
a) Copy INSERT statements for the given tables into the notepad;
b) Launch to MySQL Workbench Home page;
c) Choose created database instance; enter password;
d) New screen appears with the Connection name;
e) Choose in Navigator your schema’s name;
f) Copy script from Notepad to screen ‘Query 1’;
g) Highlight executable rows, choose ‘Query’ on the Toolbar and Execute (All or Selection);
h) Output will display the results of the execution.
Please select counters and rows in database tables and add screenshots to lab Report.
* You can also use 2CO option if you want to purchase through Credit Cards/Paypal but make sure you put the correct billing information otherwise you wont be able to receive any download link.
* Your paypal has to be pre-loaded in order to complete the purchase or otherwise please discuss it with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* As soon as the payment is received, download link of the solution will automatically be sent to the address used in selected payment method.
* Please check your junk mails as the download link email might go there and please be patient for the download link email. Sometimes, due to server congestion, you may receive download link with a delay.
* All the contents are compressed in one zip folder.
* In case if you get stuck at any point during the payment process, please immediately contact us at email@example.com and we will fix it with you.
* We try our best to reach back to you on immediate basis. However, please wait for atleast 8 hours for a response from our side. Afterall, we are humans.
* Comments/Feedbacks are truely welcomed and there might be some incentives for you for the next lab/quiz/assignment.
* In case of any query, please donot hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* MOST IMPORTANT Please use the tutorials as a guide and they need NOT to be used for any submission. Just take help from the material.
******************************************** Good Luck ***************************************************
Any personal information received will only be used to fill your order. We will not sell or redistribute your information to anyone.
We will try our best to resolve the issue and if still persists we can discuss for a refund in case its required.