Objectives|Guidelines|Grading Rubrics|Best PracticesObjectives|Guidelines|Milestones|Grading Rubrics|Best Practices
Back to Top
This paper is primarily a report. The report portion should be objective and unbiased. The final section is an opinion section where you may include your own ideas on the subject.
1. To understand the legal and environmental issues raised by hydraulic fracturing. To determine what you believe is the most important environmental issue.
2. To be able to distinguish state and federal laws and regulations; to become familiar with proposed federal laws; to be able to compare and contrast state law approaches; to examine at least one other countrys laws and regulations on the issue; to understand the scope of a recent executive order on hydraulic fracturing.
3. To understand the place of hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas as that relates to U.S. energy needs.
4. To form and state your own informed opinion on what hydraulic fracturing laws and regulations should be put in place; to explain with clear reasoning and supporting evidence why you think such laws are necessary.
Your final paper should address each of these objectives. The report should include a discussion of the legal and environmental issues raised by hydraulic fracturing, including what you believe to be the most important issue; it should contain a discussion of federal and state regulations that address hydraulic fracturing. It should compare the varying approaches of at least two states. It should compare U.S. and foreign approaches to hydraulic fracturing regulation. It should address the scope of the presidents executive order on hydraulic fracturing (see Doc Sharing).
It should discuss the place of hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas in meeting U.S. energy needs; it should discuss economic impact (could be local, regional, or national) It should conclude with your own informed opinion on what hydraulic fracturing laws and regulations should be put in place, supported with clear reasoning and relevant facts.
Back to Top
MS Word document, 7—8 pages in length, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman, 1-inch margins, APA style.
Include a cover page, table of contents, body of the report, summary or conclusion, and works cited.
Check your work for spelling and grammar. Carefully proofread your paper for spelling and grammar and double check all citations for accuracy. Be sure you have correctly cited all references.
In addition to citing to any of the material which is supplied for the weekly deliverables or which is placed for your use in Doc Sharing or placed for your use in the Webliography, you must cite to at least four sources which are the product of your own research. All sources should be listed on the last page titled Works Cited.
Avoid plagiarism. Carefully review and comply with DeVrys Academic Integrity Policy.
Deliverables are due according to the schedule found under Milestones. The final paper is due Week 6. Submit your paper to the Week 6 Dropbox titled Course Project located on the silver tab at the top of this page. For instructions on how to use the Dropbox, read these step-by-step instructions or watch this Dropbox Tutorial.
Back to Top
The total points for this Course Project are 160. Failure to deliver any of the following week’s deliverables will result in a 10-point loss for that week. This means you must satisfactorily deliver all of the Week 2 requirements or lose 10 points; failure to deliver all of Week 3 requirements will result in the loss of another 10 points and failure to deliver all of Week 4 requirements will result in the loss of another 10 points.
Week 2: Form a working definition of hydraulic fracturing. Demonstrate familiarity with how hydraulic fracturing is actually performed. Distinguish gas and oil fracturing. Show where hydraulic fracturing is currently underway in the United States, Europe, and South America.
Write a working definition of hydraulic fracturing.
Write a brief description of how the process works (25—50 words).
Chapter 8 of the president’s economic report for 2012, at page 256 details some of the economic effects of hydraulic fracturing. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ERP_2012_ch_8.pdf Oil fracking in the Bakken Shale in and around Williston, North Dakota has had dramatic economic effects. The May, 2012 issue of the Oil and Gas Journal had a lengthy article on the Williston boom. Using such material (and any other source material you may find) write a 2–3 paragraph summary of the economic impact of hydraulic fracturing. TIP:Try a Google search, such as
Provide links or citations to other material you have found that might be useful in writing about the above points.
Submit your work to the Course Project Deliverables Dropbox in Week 2.
Week 3: What are the legal issues raised by hydraulic fracturing? The environmental issues? What part does (will) hydraulic fracturing play in meeting U.S. energy needs? Fracking and the Safe Drinking Water Act issues are discussed extensively in this Congressional Research Service report: http://www.arcticgas.gov/sites/default/files/documents/hydraulic-fracturing-and-safe-drinking-water-act-issues.pdf See also Chapter 8 of the president’s economic report referenced above.
The Louisiana Bar Journal Vol. 59, No. 4, page 253, reports other fracking issues. TIP: Try a Google search such as
Isolate three or four such issues and report them in bullet-point form. Each point should state the issue and a brief explanation (no more than one paragraph).
Example: Dumping toxic waste—Uncontrolled dumping of toxic waste into waterways has created dead zones (places where marine and aquatic life cannot survive) worldwide, including an area in the Gulf of Mexico the size of Lake Ontario.
Provide links or citations to at least two other sources you have found that will be useful in writing about the above points. Submit your work to the Course Project Deliverables Dropbox in Week 3.
Week 4: Briefly, in 2–3 paragraphs, answer the following: What is Pennsylvania Act 13? Compare it to Vermont’s May 2012 legislation: http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2012/Bills/Intro/H-464.pdf Compare these with the New York State decision on local control of fracking found in Doc Sharing at
Using the studies, such as The Final Report on Unconventional Gas in Europe, write a brief 1–2 paragraph statement that discusses at least one specific country’s regulations (see page 5 for general information and pages 48, 49, and 50 for country-specific information.) TIP: Try a Google search, such as
On April 13, 2012, President Obama issued this executive order; briefly, in 1–2 paragraphs, explain what the order provides. You can find the executive order at this address (or look in Doc Sharing).
Provide links or citations to at least two other sources you have found that will be useful in writing about the above points. Submit your work to the Course Project Deliverables Dropbox in Week 4.
Week 6—Submit your final paper by placing it in the Dropbox for Week 6.
* You can also use 2CO option if you want to purchase through Credit Cards/Paypal but make sure you put the correct billing information otherwise you wont be able to receive any download link.
* Your paypal has to be pre-loaded in order to complete the purchase or otherwise please discuss it with us at email@example.com.
* As soon as the payment is received, download link of the solution will automatically be sent to the address used in selected payment method.
* Please check your junk mails as the download link email might go there and please be patient for the download link email. Sometimes, due to server congestion, you may receive download link with a delay.
* All the contents are compressed in one zip folder.
* In case if you get stuck at any point during the payment process, please immediately contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will fix it with you.
* We try our best to reach back to you on immediate basis. However, please wait for atleast 8 hours for a response from our side. Afterall, we are humans.
* Comments/Feedbacks are truely welcomed and there might be some incentives for you for the next lab/quiz/assignment.
* In case of any query, please donot hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
* MOST IMPORTANT Please use the tutorials as a guide and they need NOT to be used for any submission. Just take help from the material.
******************************************** Good Luck ***************************************************
Any personal information received will only be used to fill your order. We will not sell or redistribute your information to anyone.
We will try our best to resolve the issue and if still persists we can discuss for a refund in case its required.