Last week, you created a targeted resumé tailored to a specific job ad. This week, you need to write a targeted cover letter responding to that ad. After this is complete, you will do a bit of role playing by assuming that you were given the opportunity to interview for the position and that you now need to write a post-interview thank you letter to the employer.
The following resources will be very helpful for this assignment.
• Using Your Cover Letter (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
• Using Your Thank You Letter (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
PART 1: THE COVER LETTER
The Cover Letter must
• be targeted to the job ad and link the student’s skills to the job requirements; and
• convey the company’s goals and be personalized to the reader.
PART 2: THE THANK YOU LETTER
The Thank You Letter must
• provide at least three links from the student’s personal skill set to the expectations listed in the job ad; and
• express why the student would be the best candidate for the position.
BOTH LETTERS MUST
• contain appropriate content;
• be formatted in standard business style; and
• be free of spelling and grammatical errors.
You will also find helpful materials for these letters in your text.
Don’t forget to submit your assignment.
The grading rubric for this assignment is below.
Cover and Thank You Letters Assignment Points
Part 1: The Cover Letter Is targeted to the job ad and links the student’s skills to the job requirements (10 points)
Conveys the company’s goals and is personalized to the reader (10 points) 20
Part 2: The Thank You Letter Provides at least three links from the student’s personal skill set to the expectations listed in the job ad (10 points)
Leaves no doubt why the student would be the best candidate for the job (10 points) 20
Unified Elements for Both Parts Both letters are formatted in standard business style (10 points per letter) 20
Both letters have flawless grammar and spelling (5 points per letter) 10
Job ad was submitted with assignment 20